6 Reasons Spring is the Best Time for Mulching
During spring you might notice several areas in your community are adding fresh mulch to their landscaping. Nothing freshens up the look of your landscape exterior like some freshly added mulch. However, adding mulch does much more than just give your yard a facelift. Mulch is one of the key components to a growing, healthy landscape. Because mulch breaks down over the course of a year, it is crucial to re-apply annually, and spring is the time to do it.
When applied correctly each year, mulch provides significant assistance to plants, flowers, shrubs, and trees in your landscape and allows them to thrive. Besides the visual appeal that mulch provides, it also carries the following benefits:
- Temperature Stability—mulching moderates soil temperature changes, keeping the soil cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Protection from Weed Growth—weeds need light and warm soil to survive. With a 2-3 inch layer of the right mulch, you’ll be able to prevent most weeds from sprouting. Without sunlight, they won’t have enough energy to push through the mulch.
- Enrichment of Soil—mulch is filled with essential nutrients, so when it decomposes, you’re providing your soil and your plants with the nutrients they need.
- Pest Repellent—most mulches contain ingredients that will repel insects that could harm or kill your plants.
- Prevents Soil Erosion—by completely covering exposed soil with mulch, you’re reducing soil erosion (the wearing away of topsoil due to forces of water and wind).
- Helps Soil Retain Moisture—mulched soils absorb water faster. Mulches prevent splashing of mud and disease organisms from growing on plants and flowers during rain. Mulch also excludes light, preventing weeds which means less competition for available moisture and nutrients.
As one can see, mulching for your home or commercial property is very important, and now is the time of year to do it. Winter is over, the growing season is here and warmer days are ahead!
When choosing a mulch for your landscape, there is an overwhelming number of choices. The experts at Handy-Matt can help you decide what type of mulch would best compliment your yard and the exterior of your home, as well as the mulch that will promote the growth of your plants.
Handy-Matt provides time-efficient, affordable mulching services so that you don’t have to worry. For any questions or to receive a free quote, contact us today!